Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 Year in Review, Part 1: The Baby Edition

Since I've been MIA for all of 2013, I figured I'd do a few big recap posts to track everything I made during the year. I may have sucked at blogging, but I was knitting constantly.

First of all, one of my former roommates from college found out she was having a baby that was due in May. Obviously, I took advantage of this fact and started making baby items immediately.




Technically speaking, this Maile cardigan was made in December 2012. It's my favorite thing I made for the baby, though, so I'm throwing it in here. The yarn is Cascade Heritage Silk in Aqua Foam, which is the same yarn I used to make a pair of Embossed Leaves to go under the mom's cowboy boots at her wedding. The buttons are vintage, and came out of the old glass Jif jar my grandma used to store all of her buttons. Honestly, I liked this sweater so much that I almost kept it for my future child.




Next, I made a Baby Chalice Blanket. The yarn wasn't great (Lion Brand Pound of Love), but I figured this wasn't going to be an heirloom quality piece and should probably be able to withstand some wear and tear.




This Cowboy Hat and Boots Set was a special request by the mom-to-be. The parents are a little county (see: wore cowboy boots at their wedding), so it only made sense. I have a lot of this yarn left over and might end up making the baby a larger set to carry her through the next year.



I had some yarn left over from my Classic Raglan Pullover, so I made my very first hat. I can't believe I had never made a hat before, but there you go. This Isabella Bonnet worked up very quickly since I worked it inside out and just knit the whole thing. I added a little bit of shaping to the bow and think it helped it keeps its shape. I wish I had written down what I did because I'm planning to knit another one with some more scraps. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out again.








The mom and I met through our sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta. Our symbol is a squirrel (hence the name of this blog), so when I saw the pattern for the Oh, Nuts! bib, I knew it had to be made.


Finally, the parents requested that I knit a large wall hanging to cover an ugly breaker box that happened to be in the nursery and ended up being directly over the baby's changing table. I used knitPro to make a chart out of a large letter B and basically just knit in stockinette until I thought I might die. Seriously. This piece had to be at least 18" by 45" and was done in Caron Simply Soft, which is an aran weight. I will not be making another one of these any time soon.



I have more baby items planned for 2014, but it's nice to know that I can use up scraps to make tiny adorable things that a tiny adorable person will actually wear. Adult-sized goodies to follow soon.

1 comment:

  1. Yipes! You get the prize for knitting stamina on the cover-the-breaker-box piece! Noreen1009 on Rav, longlakeyarns.net

    ReplyDelete